Questions that we are frequently asked and their answers

0.- Why do you recommend to travel with a Private Tour Organizer and Guide?

Because we have always had the most memorable and enriching travel experiences when we have had a caring, educated and passionate local friend available in our destinations. We very much enjoy the luxury of being spoilt by their kindness and passion as well as by their ability to offer their knowledge and valuable insightful information while generating a relaxed and fun atmosphere. Then, when we have added quality food and comfortable travel standards to this, we have experienced what we believe is the best way to discover a region.

1.- Can we have contact with our private tour guide before the tour?

Sure! Our private tour organizer and guide will be most happy to be in touch with you before the tour to give you as much information as you require. Besides, they’ll be delighted to skype with you so you can get to know them before the tour.

2.- What’s the difference between a city tour and a day trip?

Our city tours of Seville, Cadiz or Jerez have been designed for those travelers arriving to any these cities by themselves. Our day trips include private transportation to the selected destination to and from your accommodation in South West Spain (hotel / villa / rented property).

3.- How many people can your tours accommodate?

Our tours can accommodate up to 8 people. We believe that touring with a small group allows for dynamic interaction with the guests, offers flexibility and the possibility to get to places that bigger groups would rarely reach. If you had a larger group, please contact us.

4.- Which vehicles do you use for your tours?

It depends on the group size and needs. All the vehicles we use are new, modern and comfortable and they have a minimum of 4 seats and a maximum of 9. They of course have A/C and are equipped with a good collection of Andalusian music. Besides we offer a 3G data connection via wi-fi to our guests along the drives. If you needed a larger vehicle please contact us.

5.- Do you do tours for families with kids and for people with special needs?

Absolutely. We have had incredibly enriching experiences touring with both and we’ll be delighted to keep helping them experience the wonders of our homeland.

We are big supporters of family travel. We believe that traveling with kids helps them discover their interests and future careers.

6.- What are the payment methods and conditions?

All city tours and day trips require a 30% deposit to be paid in advance to confirm the booking. The payment of this deposit can be made via credit/debit card, paypal and bank transfer. The remaining payment needs to be made via these same methods 7 days before the start of the tour at the very latest. Custom trips require a 30% deposit to be paid advance to confirm. The remaining 70% must be paid no later than 30 days prior to the start of the trip.

7.- What’s your cancellation policy?

For city tours and day trips, the deposit is non-refundable. In our custom trips, the following cancellation policy applies:

  • If our guests canceled the trip more than 30 days before the scheduled start of the trip, we’d charge the deposit only.
  • If our guests canceled the trip between 15 and 30 days before the scheduled start of the trip, we’d charge 50% of the full cost of the program.
  • If our guests canceled the trip between 7 and 14 days before the scheduled departure, we’d charge 75% of the full cost of the program.
  • If our guests cancelled the trip 6 days or less prior to the scheduled start of the trip, we’d charge 100% of the full cost of the program.

If we hadn’t received the second payment 30 days before the start of the program, the cancellation policy would apply.